Cable Road Alliance celebrates 125 years

LIMA — This weekend, a local church celebrates the 125th anniversary of its humble beginnings in Lima.

Cable Road Christian and Missionary Alliance Church organizes many events to celebrate the occasion. According to Senior Pastor Tim Lewis, “We are honoring our history and celebrating our future.”

Events planned for the weekend included a free movie night on Saturday night with the film “Sing 2”. Local vendors offered a variety of foods for individuals and families, including Kewpee burgers, Pete ice cream, Tim Horton and Auntie Anne pretzels.

Sunday morning worship, which will take place at 10:45 a.m., will feature CMA President John Stumbo as guest speaker. Worship will be followed by a catered lunch at the Family Life Center for attendees. A program was scheduled during lunch to include a video, a professional mime performance by the Wang family, and the presentation of a check to President Stumbo. The donation, according to Lewis, is “significant” and represents special donations that have been made to the “125 fund” by church members and participants. Lewis was quick to point out that these donations were “over and above” those already given monthly to the CMA’s Great Commissions Fund, which supports missionaries in other parts of the world. Sunday’s events will end with Teresa Fuhrman blowing the shofar, a ram’s horn trumpet used by ancient Jews.

History of the Christian and Missionary Alliance of Lima

According to historical records compiled by the late Dr. Armond V. Arnold and a historical summary provided by current Cable Road Alliance church secretary Sherri Jordan, the Lima Christian and Missionary Alliance organizing meeting is held at the home of Adam and Anna Neiswander. at 760 S. Broadway Street in Lima. The first meeting took place on June 17, 1897.

In the early years, a group of dedicated men and women gathered in various places, sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ. Historical records indicate that “sometimes two offerings had to be taken from a service to raise enough money for coal so that their showcase mission would have heat the following Sunday.”

In 1917 permanent settlement became a reality with the purchase of a small white church which was moved from a property on South Main Street to land at 529 S. Elizabeth St. On this site in 1926 a shrine brick and a basement were built.

The Lima congregation grew rapidly in the 1940s, and by the 1950s the Alliance Church became the largest evangelical church in the Lima area. A three-story annex was built in 1956, more than doubling the classroom space.

The vision for a CMA church in the Shawnee area came to fruition in the 1960s. From 1964 to 1965, the Lima constituency provided substantial monetary donations and several members to help build and maintain the Shawnee Church Alliance.

Relocation of Church to Cable Road

In the early 1970s, efforts were made to purchase land for relocation. Prime acreage was secured on North Cable Road in 1973 and 1974. Cable Road Alliance Church was dedicated on this site on November 28, 1976.

Another milestone was reached at the church in 1997. On February 23, the Family Life Center was dedicated. The FLC provided additional classrooms, offices, restrooms, a full kitchen and a gymnasium.

Current senior pastor Tim Lewis is committed to the church’s vision to “inspire, invite and train disciples from all walks of life to passionately accept and pursue Jesus”. The current leadership team consists of Lewis, associate pastor Jason Snyder, worship director Vince Herrera, and connections director Sara Nishimoto.

While many changes have taken place over the past 125 years, the central message of the church remains the same. As Jueckstock said, “It’s about building a relationship with Christ.”

Barry F. Howard